Thursday, February 26, 2009

Taqueria! - El Taco Torro



This is going to be my first entry in a series called Taqueria!

I will be exploring Indys' many fine taquerias and reporting back.

Let me start off by saying I love Mexican food. I like it authentic and I understand that people have different ideas of authentic in this city. What I mean is that I like it down and dirty, street food style. If there is anything on the menu other than tacos, burritos and tortas it better have names like menudo, cabeza and nopalitos. And I actually want to have a hard time having a conversation in English with whoever is behind the counter.

I am a big fan of the small taquerias that have been popping up all over Indy for the last 10 years. I will admit that sometimes you need to be a little cautious with some of these places aka some of them are dirty as hell.

I stopped into El Taco Torro yesterday for lunch craving some tacos de tripas. If you actually clicked my hot little link back there you might currently be getting sick right now, but let me tell you, this is like bacon stuffed with foie gras. Shoved into a corn tortilla with onions, cilantro and a nice squeeze of lime juice and this is possibly one of my favorite food discoveries of the last few years.

El Taco Torro also offers up all the standard fare that you would expect in a taqueria: burritos, tortas, pollo azado(roasted chicken). They also have a menu of soups and other treats depending on the day, but they keep it pretty simple.

This place may not be for the faint of heart though
, it is not a polished restaurant. This place is mainly for the Latino population in this area to stop and have a familiar meal. There is salsa in styrofoam bowls just hanging out on the counter along with an array of pickled veggies for topping your tacos. The counter wasn't very clean, but I showed up just after a lunch rush. The young grill man behind the counter was very nice and spoke broken English, he also cooked my tripas very nicely. You may need some basic Spanish to interact, but not much. And that is just how I like it!!

El Taco Torro apparently doesnt operate a website, but you can find them right next to their mothership, Carniceria Mi Mexico, at the corner of 79th and Michigan Rd. (7853 N. Michigan Rd)

*I suggest taking cash as they have been very confused by my Visa on two occasions and had to bring someone from the grocery next door to operate the credit card contraption.

1 comment:

  1. best mexican in indy! the store next door is great too they're real friendly.

    ReplyDelete